Till now we have covered Memorable Songs of Lata Mangeshkar (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) during our micro-revisit of the ‘Best songs of 1950: And the winners are?.
We now take up songs by Other Leading Female Playback Singers.
1950 truly reflects the transformation that was taking place in the Hindi Film Music in so far as Female Playback singers are concerned. Lata Mangeshakar has attained fairly large share of songs as compared to any other individual singer. Music Directors like Madan Mohan (Aankhen), Roshan (Bawre Nain) , S D Burman (Pyar) who went on to create some of the greatest ever songs for the film industry, in Lata Mangeshakar’s voice, just a few years down the line, had films that had not one Lata song this year. This year also has recorded a very large number of songs in the voice of other female singers, like Sulochana Kadam, or Jayshree (in Dahej) who may not have been called front-line singers. Asha Bhosle is certainly seen, but has not made her presence felt. And when we try to draw up a list most favourite songs for the year, one easily lines up several songs from each of these ‘other leading’ female singers, which were iconic in that year and have remained so ever since.
In this post, we will take up some of the memorable songs of Suraiya.
Suraiya seems to have an excellent year, having acted in films in one year. She has performed quite credibly with Other Than Frontline music directors. However, her Afsar ( S D Burman) and Dastan (Naushad) topped not only cash counter charts but also critics’ ratings.
1. Man mor hua matwala – Afsar – S D Burman
2. Nain deewane ik nahi maane – Afsar – S D Burman
3. Pardesi re aate jaate jiya mora liye jaao – Afsar – S D Burman
4. Aaya mere dil mein tu– Dastan – Shakeel Badayuni – Naushad
5. Ye mausam aur ye tanhaai – Dastan – Shakeel Badayuni – Naushad
6. Ae shamma tu bata tera parwana kaun hai – Dastan – Shakeel Badayuni – Naushad
7. Nainon mein preet hai hothon pe geet hai – Dastan – Shakeel Badayuni – Naushad
8. Mohabbat badha kar juda ho gaye – Dastan – Shakeel Badayuni – Naushad
9. Naam tera hai zabaan par yaad teri dil mein hai – Dastan – Shakeel Badayuni – Naushad
10. Koi dil mein samaaya chupke chupke – Kamal Ke Phool – Rajendra Krishna – Shyam Sundar
11. Sazaa mili hai kisi se yah dil lagaane ki – Kamal Ke Phool – Rajendra Krishna – Shyam Sundar
12. Haaye ye judaai ki chot buri hai – Nili – Surjit Sethi – S. Mohinder
13. Majboor hun main nashad hun main – Shaan – Rajendra Krishna – Hansraj Behl
9 thoughts on “The Micro View of The Best Songs of 1950 @ Songs of Yore – Female Solo Songs– Other Singers – Suraiya”