We continue with songs by Other Leading Female Playback Singers during our micro-revisit of the ‘Best songs of 1950: And the winners are?.
In the previous post we listened Suraiya’s memorable songs of 1950.
In this post, we will take up some of the memorable songs of another front ranking female playback singer of that era – Shamshad Begum.
Shamshad Begum continues to retain her position as the lead female singer in quite a few films. Moreover, she also remains the first choice for dance numbers and similar other peppy songs. Her quantitative share, both in terms of number of films and number songs across diverse music directors also compares very favourably with those of Lata Mangeshkar.
1. Kismat ne humein majboor kiya – Aankhen – Saraswati Kumar Deepak – Madan Mohan
2. Mohabbat karnewalon ka yahi anjaam hota hai – Aankhen – Raja Mehdi Ali Khan – Madan Mohan
3. Dhadke mera dil mujhko jawani Ram qasam na bhaaye – Babul – Shakeel Badayuni- Naushad – Nargis lip-synchs Shamshad Begum in this song.
4. Na socha tha ye dil lagaane ke pahle – Babul – Shakeel Badayuni- Naushad
5. Jaadu Bahre Naino Mein Dole Jiya – Babul – Shakeel Badayuni – Naushad – Nargis lip-synchs Shamshad Begum in this song.
6. Chhod babul ka ghar mohe pee ken agar aaj jana pada – Babul – Shakeel Badayuni- Naushad – A Haapy version- Again Nargis lip-synchs Shamshad Begum
The song has several versions
7. Thandi hawa ke jhonke – Bhai Bahen – Ishwar Chandra Kapoor – Shyam Sundar
8. Main to maarungi nainon ke baan re zara bach ke rahna – Bijli – Bharat Vyas – Vasant Desai
( I have not been able to find the video link of this song.)
9. Choodi dheere pahna choodiwaali ho – Dahej – Shams Lakhnavi – Vasant Desai
10. Ae kale baadal bol tu kyun itarata hai – Dahej – Shams Lakhnavi – Vasant Desai
11. Chhod chale rajaji li haye kaise rahun akeli – Hanste Aansoo – Majrooh Sultanpuri – Ghulam Mohammad
12. Kaahe nainon mein naina dale re O pardesiya – Jogan – Buta Ram – Bulo C Rani
13. Jin aankhon ki neend haraam hui – Jogan – Buta Ram – Bulo C Rani
14. Thoda thoda pyaar thodi thodi taqraar ho – Kamal Ke Phool – Rajendra Krishna – Shyam Sundar
15. Mohabbat meri rang laane lagi hai – Nirala – P L Santoshi – C Ramchandra
16. Kateele tore naina raseele – Nishana – Naqshab – Khursheed Anwar
17. Mere ghungharwale baal – Pardes – Shakeel Badayuni – Ghulam Mohammad
18. Husnwalon ki galiyon mein aana nahi – Sheesh Mahal – Shmas Laknavi – Vasant Desai