Welcome to January, 2018 edition of Carnival of Quality Management Articles and Blogs.
We open account of 6th year of our Blog Carnival with the present January, 2018 episode with Law of Opposites.
The first ever reference would naturally be to the Newton’s Third Law: To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction; or, the mutual actions of two bodies upon each other are always equal, and directed to contrary parts.
In respect of the applied sciences, the Principle of Opposites finds a very respectable and important mention on the Carl Jung’s treatises of Analytical Psychology. Jung described the operation of psyche in terms of three principles. He states that in terms of The Principle of Opposites, the energy of the psyche comes from the contrast between two opposite thoughts or desires, and then in terms of The Principle of Equivalence If you acknowledge your opposite thought, the energy is used to help your psyche grow; if you deny it, the energy goes into a complex that develops around an archetype.. This is followed by The Principle of Entropy, which in effect states that in the case of the psyche, as we grow older, extreme differences, such as masculine and feminine, become less extreme and we better acknowledge or “transcend” the opposite tendencies in us leading to a more balanced and stable personality….Thus, according to this model, the goal of life is to transcend the opposites within one’s psyche and develop a balanced personality or self, in which every aspect, conscious and unconscious, personal and collective, is expressed and harmonized.
The Law of Opposites, in the simple terms, states that no sooner will you call something into your reality than its exact opposite will also appear-and always first.
Law of Opposites – Dr. Mahboob Khan : “Conversations with God” states, “The moment you declare anything, everything unlike it will come into the space.” This is known as the law of opposites.
The law of opposites presents the perfect opportunity for us to take full responsibility for our choices. All too often we choose the smaller choice, the painful yet comfortable choice, instead of pushing back on our craving.
So what is this law of opposites and why does it appear to conflict with the law of attraction, you may ask? The law of opposites is simply providing a contextual field for our true desires to be experienced. We cannot know the joy and the power of stepping into a new creation without the resistance that this law provides. Life is meant to be experienced, and the only way to do so is for the opposite of our desires to be present to show us the way. The application of this knowledge is crucial in overcoming addiction, obsessions, and compulsions. Why? It requires that one put faith in something outside of themselves. We must first believe that what is working for others can work for us. Then we have to put trust in something that is unseen. When we experience the reward of this blind faith, we begin to build upon it.
Appreciating The Law of Opposites To Manifest What You Want … Here are seven tips:
- Bless the experience and say thank you.
- Be open to uncover any subconscious beliefs and programs potentially contributing to what you are experiencing that are ready to be healed, released, and replaced.
- Listen to your inner wisdom and guidance for clarity and perspective. It is the Gift of Wisdom that helps us to discern the difference between being up against a wall or at the entrance to a doorway.
- Allow your curiosity and wonder to guide you to a more joyful experience. Unleash the power of your imagination to dream of possibilities and opportunities on the horizon.
- Put your attention on all the gifts and blessings in your life. Gratitude is a powerful attitude shifter that moves us from a state of constriction to expansion.
- Remind yourself that the Law of Opposites exists to light the way to your desires. Monitor your thoughts and judgments so that you see and feel the truth rather than react to the story and illusion you are creating in your mind.
- Use your spiritual practices to stay connected to your heart and The Divine. Choose to do things that bring you joy. Reach out to the people who love and celebrate you.
The Important Law of Opposites .. Don’t be scared of what you don’t want…instead use it as a tool to get crystal clear on what you do want and start taking inspired action toward it.
The Law of Opposites—How Backward Thinking Can Change Your Life : The Law of Opposites says that I can always make a bad situation better by inputting positive energy into it as opposed to negative.
After these articles that explore various soft aspects of the Law of Opposites, we get a direct reference to the world of business:
Law 9 of The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing : Law of opposite:
If you’re shooting for second place, your strategy is determined by the leader.
Leverage the leader’s strength into a weakness.
Don’t try to be better than the leader, try to be different. E.g. By offering ‘free’ voice and SMS bundled with 4G data, Reliance Jio threw out the pseudo-competition rule book the existing warlords of the mobile service arena in India.
Sounds correct although doesn’t apply to those who do have ambitions to overtake the leader (e.g. Excel killed Lotus 1-2-3 by being a better spreadsheet, not a different spreadsheet).
We will now turn to our regular sections:
For the present episode we have picked up Maximizing Opportunity (Not Profits) Is The Name Of The Game @ the column The Drucker Perspective @ Management Matters Network, which provides a unique opportunity learn from business masterminds and become a more effective competitor.
We now watch one of the latest ASQ TV episodes:
- Quality and Technology talks about how quality and technology can be woven together. Author Sunil Kaushik has found ways to use virtual reality applications to enhance current processes. Bill Hathaway says agile process helps process design keep up with technological advances.
+ “Virtual Reality for Quality”, Sunil Kumar V. Kaushik, 2017
+ Full Interview with Bill Hathaway
Jim L. Smith’s Jim’s Gems postings for December, 2017 are:
- Power To Achieve: Benjamin Franklin was the first to say, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” Therefore, failure becomes the default option to success…Once we clearly commit to a specific target; our mind uses feedback, just like GPS, to keep us on track. This feedback, positive and negative, coming from our internal and external surroundings is used to adjust our behaviors and actions…It’s important to have a clear vision of your target. Once that’s done, set milestones to help you achieve your target, and assess your progress. Write your plan down so your path is well-defined but remain flexible
- Self-fulfilling Prophecy: We cannot alter the situations because we have little control over what is happening; however, we can change how we react to it…The self-fulfilling prophecy, however, can be pointed in a different direction. Something as simple as a sincere greeting or a heartfelt smile can defuse tension – in you as well as in the receiver. It can also be very contagious!.. Be prepared for frustrations and challenges but meet them with a positive attitude.
I look forward to your inputs / criticisms/ observations to enhance the utility of our Quality Management Blog Carnival.
Note: The images depicted here above are through courtesy of respective websites who have the copyrights for the respective images.