Welcome to December 2021 edition of the IXth volume of Carnival of Quality Management Articles and Blogs.
We recapitulate that the 2021 theme for the IXth volume of our Carnival of Quality Management Articles and Blogs is Future of… as the basis for Creating and Maintaining Sustained Success.
Our topic for the discussion for the month is – The Future Sustainability – with a view to present a broader picture of the issue that has been gaining higher priority everywhere.
It is now well accepted that: Sustainability is meeting our own (present) needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It is also well accepted that sustainability is not just environmental-ism. Sustainability rests on dynamic balance of three dimensions economic development, social equity, and environment conservation, not necessarily in that order.
The UN’s adoption of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in the year 2015, has laid the concrete foundation for the roadmap for a sustainable future.
The UN’s aspirational SDGs were “a great gift to humanity” when they were adopted, but much work is still needed to develop science-based pathways to show how they can be effectively and equitably implemented, said Nebojsa “Naki” Nakicenovic, professor emeritus at the Vienna University of Technology and former deputy director general of the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA). The World in 2050 (TWI2050) seeks to make the aspirational SDGs more practical and equitable.
The Science of Sustainability is a science-based view that provides cross-sector collaboration between environment conservation and growing human needs across traditionally disconnected sectors, and on a near unprecedented scale.
Six emerging sustainability trends are identified for the present decade:
- Sustainability as a way of doing business
- Embracing accountability and importance of being transparent
- Education is the key in building awareness
- Collaboration between the public and private
- Innovation is imperative
- Rise of the circular economy.
- Our Common Future: The Brundtland Commission report
- The SDGs explained for business
- The World in 2050 Pursues Paths to a Sustainable Future
- The Science of Sustainability
I plan to devote the entire next year’s Xth volume of Carnival of Quality Management Articles and Blogs to this subject of Sustainability.
We now watch ASQ TV episode on–
- SR Offers Opportunities for Quality Professionals – “Sustainability is the goal,” says Andrea Hoffmeier in this ASQTV interview. Hoffmeier, explains how quality professionals can play a role in helping their organizations and clients reach the goal of sustainability through social responsibility. She also discusses how DMAIC can be adapted for the SR audiences.
We have taken up one article from Jim L. Smith’s Jim’s Gems :
- The Future – A single action, taken now, can have significant consequences far into the future…..Time has a way of magnifying whatever we do. So even in the smallest matters, we should strive to do what is the right thing to do. The direction and purpose of each effort we take are much more important than the size of the effort….. We need to point all our actions, large and small, important, and seemingly insignificant, in the direction we wish to see our life move. ,,,,, We are shaped by our thoughts, and we become what we think.
‘From the Editor’ (of Quality Magazine) – by Darryl Sealand, we have –
- Assessing the Quality Situation: The Importance of Knowing Your Surroundings – Knowing the environment, or being aware of your surroundings, is key to many a task. It’s at least one of the ways we express the importance of having all the information we need in order to reach a goal…. The importance of knowing our surroundings also extends to less controllable environments….. Here is what was very widely told incident during the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union. Careful consideration of the environment of outer space and its effect on the technology and tools of a mission to space led the U.S. to invest substantially in developing a pen that would write in the zero-gravity of space. And the punchline…the Russian cosmonauts used a pencil.
I look forward to your views / comments / inputs to further enrich the theme of The Sustainability during 2022..
Note: The images depicted here above are through courtesy of respective websites who have the copyrights for the respective images.
Carnival of Quality Management Articles and Blogs wishes everyone the year 2022 to provide the most powerful springboard to sustained success and happiness.
Please click the hyper link to read /download January 2021 to December 2021 articles of IXth Volume of Carnival of Quality Management Articles and Blogs
 What is the future of sustainability as we welcome the next decade?