We continue our take with songs by Other Leading Female Playback Singers during our micro-revisit of the ‘Best songs of 1950: And the winners are?. In the previous posts, we listened to memorable songs of 1950 from two of the prominent singers – Suraiya and Shamshad Begum. In this post, we will take up some of the memorable songs of other front ranking female playback singer of that era – Raj Kumari and Geeta Dutt. We will also take up three songs that remain isolated cases, but merit no less attention and accolades, in the List of Memorable Songs.
Qualitatively, only Baware Nain would have sufficed for Raj Kumari to hold her ground in the competitive era of Hindi Film Music. Her overall share in the year was, in any case, not insignificant.
1. Sun bairi balam kuchh bol – Bawre Nain – Kedar Sharma – Roshan . This clip also has Raj Kumari singing the song live many many years after, as comfortably and as much in élan as she did originally !
2. Ghir ghir ke aasman par chhane lagi gataayen – Bawre Nain – Kedar Sharma – Roshan
3. Kyun mere dil mein dard jagaya jawaab do – Bawre Nain – Kedar Sharma – Roshan
4. Mere roothe huye balmaa –– Bawre Nain – Kedar Sharma – Roshan
5. Chale jaiho bedarda main roye marungi – Bequasoor – Anil Biswas – a classic mujra ! Raaj Kumari is simply as much comfortable in this type of song as well !
Jogan simply overshadowed Geeta Dutt’s other songs in the year, which are also fairly respectable , both in numbers and on quality.
1. Ghunghat ke pat khol re – Jogan – Meerabai – Bulo C Rani
2. Main to Giridhar ke ghar jaaun – Jogan – Meerabai – Bulo C Rani
3. Main to prem diwani mera prem na jaane koi – Part 1 & 2 – Jogan – Meerabai – Bulo C Rani
4. Jogi mat ja – Jogan – Meerabai – Bulo C Rani
5. Pyaare darshan deejo aaj – Jogan – Meerabai – Bulo C Rani
6. Daaro re rang daaro re phaagun ke din aaye re – Jogan – Pt Indra – Bulo C Rani
7. Kaisi murali bajayi Shyam ne – Nishana – Naqshab – Khursheed Anwar
8. Ab Bhool Ja Unko Yaad Na Kar – Nishana – Naqshab – Khursheed Anwar
9. Humein apne dil se juda kar rahe ho – Jalte Deep – Naazim Panipati – TK Das
Some other Memorable Female Songs
Lakhon mein ek hamaare sainya – Nirmala Devi – Anmol Ratan – D N Madhok – Vinod
Mori Attariya Pe Kaga Bole – Meena Kapoor – Aankhen – Madan Mohan
Mila gaye nain – Sudha Malhotra – Aarzoo – Majrooh Sultanpuri – Anil Biswas
Biraha Ki Rat Mose Kaati Nahi Jat – Asha Bhosle – Beewee – Nazim Panipati – Aziz Hindi
And of course , a bonus in the form of Nutan’s Tujhe Kaisa Dulha Bhaaye Ri Baanki Dulhaniya – Hamari Beti – Snehal Bhatkar, which in no way gives a clue to her solos and duet with Hemant Kumar which blazed a comet like trail in Chhabeeli ten years later.