In the preceding posts we listened to solo songs of Mukesh, Talat Mahmood, Mohammad Rafi and G M Durrani respectively, as part of our journey through the ‘Best songs of 1950: And the winners are?.
These songs cover a substantial share of male solo songs for the year.
In the present post, we will cover, what can be called as fringe players, in so far as the year 1950 is concerned.
C Ramchandra who sang under the pseudonym of Chitalkar only under his own baton, has songs under Husnlal Bhagatram and Hanuman Prasad (Apni Chhaya) and under P Ramakant (as Annasaheb). Shri Arunkumar Deshmukh states that P Ramakant was C Ramchandra’s music composer, like Chic Chocolate. So there must have been some compelling reason for this subterfuge. For our purpose, these trivia only add a piece of information only.
We have separately covered his Sargam solos (and duets) with other male solos that have been rendered by various singers – for Raj Kapoor – in this year.
1. Gore gore mukh se jo ghunghat hataao (Anna Saheb) – Babooji – Ehsan Rizvi- P Ramakant
2. Mera Dil Nikhattoo, Mera Tange Ka Tattoo – Nirala – P L Santoshi – C Ramchnadra
3. Subhash Chnandra Ke Naam Se Hindustan Ka Naam – Samadhi – Rajendra Krishna – C Ramchandra
4. Kadam Kadam Badhaye Ja, Khushi Ke Geet Gaye Jaa – Samadhi – Rajendra Krishna – C Ramchandra
Manna Dey has surprisingly not got into any special position this year. Of course his Mashall song – Upar Gagan Vishal – does remain one of best ever.
1. Upar gagan vishal – Mashal – Lyrics Pradeep – SD Burman (and Manna Dey)
2. Naina Laage Ke Pi Ki Aur – Ram Darshan – Ramesh Gupta – Ram Ganguli
1. Jab tum the hamare aur hum the tumhare – Mashal – Pradeep – SD Burman
2. Wo unka muskurana sharmana chale jana – Sangram – Brajendra Gaur – C Ramchandra
Man Mohan Krishna
In a film which had Dev Anand as lead actor, a film that was made under his own banner, Manmohan Krishna singing two songs is a very novel experiment.
1. Jhat Khol De Kiwad Khol de, Badhai Dene Ko Aae Tere Ghar Dekh Tere Hamsae – Afsar – Vishvamitra Adil – S D Burman
2. Sadhu Ke Ghar Ki Chhokariyan Do, Ik Patle Ik Bhari – Afsar – Vishvamitra Adil – S D Burman
Both songs in this clip :
Other Male Solos
We have covered Kishor Kumar and Shankar Dasgupta’s playback songs for raj Kapoor separately.
Kishore Kumar – O Phool Chunanewale Tu Khud Hi Gulab Hai….Ada Se Musquraye Ja, Quayamaten Giraye Ja – Khiladi – Rajendra Krishna – Hansraj Behl
Krishna Dayal – Aa ja nigahon mein aa ja – Dahej – Shams Lakhanvi – Vasant Desai
Anil Biswas – Humein maar chala ye khayal ye gham – Arzoo – Majrooh Sultanpuri) – Anil Biswas
Khan Mastana – Unki nazaron se koi nazarein mila ke poochhe – Hanste Rahna – Farooq Qaiser – Wadhwa
Raj Khosla – with Chorus – Rail Mein Jiya Mera Sananan Hoe Re – Aankhen -Bhagwat Datt Mishra – Madan Mohan
Madan Mohan himself sings a duet with Shamshad Begum for this film, which we shall cover in our appropriate posts of Duets.
Sundar – Ye Kaali Kaali Julfonwali Jeen Nahin Dete – Khiladi – D N Madhok – Hansraj Behl
7 thoughts on “The Micro View of The Best Songs of 1950 @ Songs of Yore – Male Solo Songs – Chitalkar, Manna Dey, Arun Kumar, Manmohan Krishna and others”
Choicest of songs. Hard to say which one is better than the other.
So true. And these are just ‘fringe’ songs, as far their numerical share is concerned !